Sunday, June 12, 2011

I can't believe it's already been over 2 weeks!

Well, I'm sitting at a restaurant with free wifi right now so that I can finally update this blog... yes, our internet is STILL down! It's been quite a struggle not being able to get online, thoroughly stalk the world via facebook, email, blog etc etc... but today is the day!  I have much to update too, since the last few days have had many ups and downs.

I'll start with the positive... On Wednesday afternoon, after going to the San Lorenzo market with class, we had a group activity: a tour of the Accademia, where Michelangelo's sculpture of the "David" is! our guide was the German who gave us our walking tour the second day in Florence. She's wonderful! She makes me laugh so hard with her expressive way telling us about history and art. It really does come to life when she speaks about it all.. such a blessing to have her for a guide! She also loves to laugh at herself and every time she does, she ends up snorting... it's HILARIOUS! haha, maybe I'm a dork but I think it's so funny. I couldn't stop laughing whenever that happened. Anyways, the statue of the "David" is remarkably HUGE.  It's incredible that Michelangelo could hammer out such a massive, detailed image out of extremely hard marble in just 3 years! He had no tools but his hands and chisels.

Being a rainy day, we ran home after the tour of the museum. I uploaded pictures taken at the market and then Meredith and I went to get wifi at a restaurant.. I had a project to finish about Italian Gastronomy..woohooo.. then to get gelato at GROM of course. it's my favorite! I write about all these details to preface the big negative that happened... my camera was stolen sometime between going to study and getting gelato. I didn't realize it was missing until Thursday morning when I wanted to take it to the market. Thankfully, I had already uploaded every picture I had taken to my computer, but it was still big bummer.

On Thursday afternoon, our class took a visit to the San Ambrogio Market, similar to the San Lorenzo Market that we went to the day before. This market caters more to locals, so it was fun to see them shopping for their daily produce, meats, cheeses, and flowers. I wish I could shop for my groceries there! Everything is so fresh, brought it by the producers to sell... so much different than in the States where we buy food from regions farther away. All very interesting. 
After class, I was determined to find my camera, so I went back to both places that Meredith and I went to the night before. Didn't find it, so I went to CEA to see what I should do about filing a police report. I ended up having to walk across town about 20 minutes to the only station still open, file a report, and then tearfully walk back feeling very defeated. I was a baby about this whole incident. O well.  It's a learning experience I guess... and a true revelation of where my heart is... in stuff? or in the Lord? As frustrating as it is to have my brand new camera stolen, it is just a camera and I have all my pictures. I am very thankful that nothing worse happened, and for this experience. I've learned so much these past 2 weeks!

Thursday evening, Meredith, Phoebe, Hilary and I went to Dante's- our other favorite restaurant for dinner. This place is awesome! They give your table a bottle of wine free if you are students, and the food is delicious as well. Gelato of course (my 2n one today.. oops... bad day... that's my excuse!)

Posting pictures and stuff about our fun weekend next!

No comments:

Post a Comment